Colonel James S. Shigekane is the Vice Commander of the 154th Wing, Hawaii Air National Guard, at Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam, Hawaii. He assists the commander in the implementation, maintenance and oversight of all Wing programs, as well as providing mission support to subordinate Wing Unit Commanders and other attendant units on four geographically separated Hawaiian Islands. The 154th Wing represents the major air component organization of the Hawaii National Guard. It is the largest Wing in the United States Air National Guard, with approximately 2,100 officers and enlisted personnel. The 154th Wing operates and maintains the C-17A, KC-135R and F-22A. In partnership with the 15th Wing, the 154th Wing employs Total Force combat and peacetime support to operations across the State of Hawaii and throughout the world.
Colonel Shigekane received his commission from the United States Air Force Academy in May 1992. He completed pilot training at Columbus Air Force Base, Mississippi in 1993 and has served in a variety of operational and diplomatic assignments to include Commander, Cadet Squadron One, United States Air Force Academy, Colorado, the 62nd Airlift Wing Chief of Safety, Commander, 10th Airlift Squadron, and Deputy Operations Group Commander, McChord Air Force Base, Washington, and was the U.S. Air Attaché to the Kingdom of Belgium, the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg, and the European Union. Prior to his current assignment, Colonel Shigekane served as the Director of Safety, Headquarters Pacific Air Forces, Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam, Hawaii. Colonel Shigekane served over 25 years on Active Duty prior to entering the Air National Guard.
Colonel Shigekane is a command pilot with more than 3,300 flying hours primarily in mobility aircraft and has flown combat and combat support missions in support of Operations Northern Watch, Southern Watch, Iraqi Freedom, and Enduring Freedom.
1992 Bachelor of Science degree in Biology, United States Air Force Academy, Colo.
1997 Squadron Officer’s School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
2002 Master of Public Administration degree, Troy State University, Ala.
2004 Air Command and Staff College, by correspondence
2006 Master of Arts degree in National Security and Strategic Studies, Naval War College, R.I.
2007 Air War College, by correspondence
2010 Distinguished Graduate, Defense Language Institute, Presidio of Monterey, Calif.
2012 Brevet Superieur Militaire, L’École de Guerre (War College), Paris, France
2012 Joint Military Attaché School, Defense Intelligence Agency, Washington D.C.
2015 Asia-Pacific Orientation Course, Asia-Pacific Center for Strategic Studies, Honolulu, Hawaii
1. September 1992 - September 1993, Undergraduate Pilot Training, Columbus Air Force Base, Miss.
2. October 1993 - October 1994, Operations Group Executive Officer, 60th Operations Group, Travis Air Force Base, Calif.
3. October 1994 - July 1996, Squadron Section Commander, 60th Aircraft Generation Squadron, Travis Air Force Base, Calif.
4. July 1996 - July 2000, Flight Commander, Chief Executive Officer, Instructor Pilot, 384th Air Refueling Squadron, McConnell Air Force Base, Kan.
5. October 2000 - March 2001, Flight Commander, 30th Airlift Squadron, Yokota Air Base, Japan
6. March 2001 - February 2002, Wing Executive Officer, 374th Airlift Wing, Yokota Air Base, Japan
7. February 2002 - June 2003, Assistant Director of Operations and Chief, Standardization and Evaluation, Evaluator Pilot, 30th Airlift Squadron, Yokota Air Base, Japan
8. February 2002 - June 2003, Commander, Cadet Squadron One, 34th Training Group, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colo.
9. July 2005 - July 2006, Student, College of Naval Command and Staff, Naval War College, Rhode Island
10. July 2006 - August 2007, Assistant Operations Officer, 7th Airlift Squadron, McChord Air Force Base, Wash.
11. August 2007 - January 2008, Chief of Safety, 62nd Airlift Wing, McChord Air Force Base, Wash.
12. January 2008 - February 2010, Commander, 10th Airlift Squadron, McChord Air Force Base, Wash.
13. February 2010 - March 2010, Deputy Commander, 62nd Operations Group, McChord Air Force Base, Wash.
14. March 2010 - October 2010, Student, Defense Language Institute, Presidio of Monterey, Calif.
15. February 2011 - June 2012, L’École de Guerre (French War College), Paris, France
16. July 2012 - December 2012, Student, Joint Military Attaché School, Washington D.C.
17. January 2013 - January 2015, United States Air Attaché, U.S. Embassy Brussels, Belgium
18. January 2015 - September 2017, Director of Safety, Pacific Air Forces, Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam, Hawaii
19. October 2017 - Present, Vice Commander, 154th Wing (HIANG), Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam, Hawaii
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
1. January 2013 - January 2015, U.S. Air Attaché, U.S. Embassy Brussels, Belgium, as a colonel
Rating: Command pilot
Flight hours: More than 3,300
Aircraft flown: C-17A, KC-135R/T/RT, C-9A, T-37B, T-38A, T-1A, TG-10, and TG-14
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Joint Service Commendation Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
General Jerome O’Malley Leadership Award
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 27, 1992
First Lieutenant May 27, 1994
Captain May 27, 1996
Major December 1, 2002
Lieutenant Colonel December 1, 2006
Colonel May 1, 2012
(Current as of October 2017)